In today’s article, we’ll talk about the various types of ROMs. Do you know how many types of ROMs are available on the market? We will explain what are the advantages and disadvantages of these ROMs. And we would also like to discuss which ROMs we should use and which ones to be avoided, etc.
There are 4 common types of ROMs that are available in markets for Android devices. Stock ROM, Custom ROM, Ported ROM, and GSI ROM. Mostly we use stock ROM and custom ROM on our Android phones.
You may be wondering when should we use a custom ROM and when one should use the port ROM and the GSI ROM. In today’s article, we’ll take a closer look at custom ROM, port ROM, and GSI ROM.
- 1 What is the purpose of creating a Custom ROM?
- 2 Benefits and Advantages Of Custom ROMs
- 3 What is a Ported ROM?
- 4 What Is a GSI ROM?
- 5 Conclusion
What is the purpose of creating a Custom ROM?
Every year, Google releases its new version of Android, as well as the source code. The custom ROM is developed by customizing all of these source codes. You’ve probably heard the names Pixel Experience, Lineage OS, and Evolution X. In fact, these are all Third-party ROM or Custom ROM.
The main reason for the popularity of the Android operating system is that Android is a purely open-source project. This allows any third-party developer to create custom ROMs with these source codes.
The main purpose of creating a custom ROM is to create a better user experience ROM. Developers often publish custom ROMs for specific devices by adding customizations, performance improvements, and features according to the user’s needs.
You can also read,
- Gaming ROM for Poco F1
- Android 13 Custom ROM list
- What are System ext ROM and Non-system Ext ROM
- Reasons why custom ROMs should be considered and avoided
- Android 13 vs 12
Benefits and Advantages Of Custom ROMs
There are some benefits to using custom ROMs. Third-party developers create these ROMs based on their user usage. Many of us want more battery backup, while others prefer gaming. Some people use custom ROM for customization and features. Developers take all these aspects and create custom ROMs. That’s why we see so many custom ROMs for a specific device. There are many reasons why we use custom ROMs which are,
- A custom ROM can only be installed on a specific phone. Which makes it more user-friendly.
- Besides, these ROMs have less bugs. Once the custom ROM is declared official, we receive frequent updates. All these updates are managed by a developer or co-developer. So, if custom ROMs are missing features, it’s no big deal for them to fix the problem.
- Using a custom ROM has several other additional benefits, such as OT updates and security patches updates, and the latest Android Version.
- Nowadays, all the banking apps are now supported in all custom ROMs. And a lot of people use custom ROM as their daily driver.
- The custom ROM community is huge, so we get quick support from developers. If we have any problems, we could contact the developer directly.
- By installing custom ROMs, we can expand the backup battery and increase or decrease the performance of the device.
What is a Ported ROM?
Generally, Port ROM is a type of custom ROM. How many of us have used OnePlus Oxygen OS? Or many of us would like to use Oxygen OS on our devices. However, this ROM is only officially available on OnePlus phones. But with the help of the port ROMs, we can use all the ROMs on our smartphones. We can also install Samsung’s OneUI on our Xiaomi, and Vivo phones using Ported ROM.
Pixel OS and Oxygen OS are the two most widely used port ROMs on the market. These ROMs are very popular since the user experience of these ROMs is quite good in daily use. In other words, when a developer creates a ROM with a different device source code, then it is called a Port ROM.
However, there are some disadvantages to using a Ported ROM.
- The biggest problem why we avoid port ROM is Bugs. Port ROMs have more bugs than custom ROMs because this ROM is specifically designed for another device that has completely different specifications. So it’s normal to have bugs on these ROMs.
- And all these bugs are hard to fix. By using updates we can fix these bugs. But there is no option for OT updates on these port ROMs, so it takes a longer time to resolve the problems.
- We also don’t receive frequent software updates and security patches for these ROMs. We only get updates every two or three months.
What Is a GSI ROM?
Generic system images or GSI ROMs can be installed on any smartphone. Actually, GSI isn’t a ROM, it’s an image file with the .img extension, which we usually install into our phone as a custom ROM.
Every year, when Google releases a new version of Android, it also releases the version of GSI ROM. GSI ROMs are not designed for a specific device, so these ROMs can be flashed or installed on any smartphone. However, we didn’t receive any updates on GSI ROMs. Therefore if there are any bugs present in GSI ROMs, it is nearly impossible to fix them. Only contributing developers can fix such bugs.
The requirements for flashing GSI ROMs, such as the phone must be compatible with Project Treble and the Android version must be at least Oreo. The way to flash all these GSI ROMs differs greatly from Custom ROMs. GSI ROMs are only used when there is no custom ROM available for a specific phone.
There are some drawbacks while using GSI ROMs. These ROMs have more bugs than Port ROMs. We don’t receive any updates from developers which makes it impossible to fix the bugs.
If there is a custom ROM available for your phone, you must use custom ROM. Because community support for custom ROM is most important and we get support from the developer end and off-topic user support. This means that we can fix bugs by discussing them with other members of the community.
The community of Ported ROMs is not very much active. That’s why we’ll see the update much later. Fixing bugs in all these ROMs is a bit Challenging. But you should only use the port ROM if you want to taste a new user interface.
The GSI ROM can be flashed on any device. There are some restrictions on flashing all of these ROMs. For example, if your device supports Treble AB, the method for flashing the GSI ROM is different. And the flashing method is different for A only Treble.
We also need to select a custom vendor when performing the installation. If the installation process goes wrong, there are chances of soft or hard bricks. For this reason, we should only use the GSI ROM if there is no custom ROM available for our phone. That’s why we think it’s better to use custom ROM on our device.
FAQ’s Custom ROM vs Ported ROM vs GSI ROM
What is a Custom ROM?
A custom ROM is generally a customized and upgraded version of an Android operating system.
What are the benefits of custom ROM?
Installing a Custom ROM offers you frequent updates, high CPU and GPU performance, More useful Customization, and tons of handy features.
What is the disadvantage of custom ROM?
Custom ROM does have a few drawbacks such as hard brick and soft brick and data loss and most importantly you will void your device warranty.
Is ported ROM safe?
Installing port ROM’s always a safe process unless you are doing anything wrong.
What is the difference between custom ROM and GSI?
GSI ROMs are made on open source projects which can be installed on any device. Generally, all Custom ROMs are device-specific. You cannot install Poco F1 custom ROMs on Poco X3 pro on Oneplus devices.